AAM opposes Grants’ Distribution to Municipalities

The Regional Development Committee is a institution set up to review and select infrastructure project applications from municipalities from reps of central and local government.  The Committee met for the sixth time during July 2016.

From the last decision of the Committee, as published in the official Magazine, 97.5% of the funds are allocated to project coming from Municipalities won by the majority leaving a 2.5% for the opposition municipalities.

The Albanian Association of Municipalities expresses its concern over such a decision, which makes this mechanism as unfair and based on political affiliations.  Adding to that, no projects on agriculture or coming from small mountainous municipalities were approved.

It is our recommendation that this mechanism has to come to an end and to be delivered proportionally to all 61 municipalities starting from 2017.